Monday 2 June 2014

Down among the dead

I’ve been read the blogs about what other boaters get up to in London.  The shows, restaurants, late nights out in Soho, all sounded too much like fun and hard work to me so instead of emulating them I went to a cemetery.  In the rain.
  
I want angels on my headstone. 
I think they would be an appropriate comment on the life I have lived
 
Highgate Cemetery is tranquil and beautiful, an interesting juxtaposition of old and new, spruced up in parts and overgrown in others.  It’s in the centre of the city yet it is an oasis of peace.  It’s an invigorating climb up Highgate Hill, full of Victorian commemorative architecture, flowers and birds and dead people. I was fascinated by it and next time I will go early enough for the conducted tour of the Western Cemetery and spend more time browsing the Eastern Cemetery. http://highgatecemetery.org/

 
I would have loved to have looked closer and longer but the bell rang for closing and as much as I loved the place and have no belief in ghouls and ghosts I didn’t fancy being shut in for the night.
 
The grave of Douglas Adams.  I do hope that the pens admirers have left for him inspire him to write in the after-life because I do love his books and it will give me something to read when I get there.


This grave surprised me, mainly because I didn't know that Jeremy Beadle had died


What more is there to say?

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment